Care for All Pets
General health and well-being ensures that your companion has a long life. In addition to regular visits to your veterinarian, you can protect your pet year-round as you both go about daily routines, or when you travel far from home.
On our site:
- Traveling with your pet gives suggestions about traveling by airplane or car, and how to find accommodations that accept pets.
- Seasonal care: winter and summer shares prevention tips for making sure your pet is safe during winter and summer.
- Healthy Pets, for overall wellness issues.
- Aging Pets, for senior pets and their special needs.
- New Pets, for new puppies and kittens.
- Heartworm: Prevention and treatment
- Declawing procedure (PDF)
- Declawing alternatives (PDF)
- Declawing: Myths and Rumors (PDF)
On the Web:
- Heartworm Society.org outlines the latest tips on prevention and treatment.
- Pets and natural disasters, an article from FEMA with tips to be prepared for emergencies.
- Safe use of flea and tick products
- The FDA also offers a tick and flea handout.
- Great page of tips for caring for cats and dogs from the Purdue University Small Animal Community Practice. Link to topics from "Why do dogs eat grass?" to ear mites to allergies.
- How to give your pet medications, from Purdue University.
- The FDA handout on pet medications lists 10 questions to ask your vet.
- Veterinary Partner.com offers all kinds of info to keep your pet healthy.
- Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine supplies downloadable handouts for cat owners on topics from declawing to how to choose a kitten. The Cornell Feline Health Center has handouts and videos.
- The Baker Institute at Cornell offers a brochure on hip dysplasia.
Several organizations offer pet insurance with plans that may cover anything from routine exams to complicated or expensive procedures. Check out these options:
- The ASPCA offers a pet insurance plan, online or at (866)-230-4259.
- PetInsurance.com is another source for pet insurance, online or at (866)-vet-pets.
- TruPanion.com offers medical insurance for pets online.