Links We Like
Below are some links to good information for pet lovers. They include medical resources, organizations and some other useful sites for people who wish to keep their furry friends healthy and happy.
Pets and people:
- Monroe County Humane Association dedicates time and donated dollars to finding homes for unwanted pets.
- The Humane Society of the United States, a national organization, can help you find a chapter in your geographic area.
- Pet welfare Web sites from University of California-Davis.
- Center for the Human-Animal Bond from Purdue University looks at the ways humans and their pets interact, including bonds between elderly and their pets, pets and children, pets and loss, and animal assisted therapies.
- Heel to Heal Pet Loss Support Group provides support group meetings in the Bloomington area for those whose pets are terminally ill or have died. You can keep track of meetings and other announcements on the group's Facebook page. For more info, check out this article from Bloom magazine.
- If you like our stained glass windows, check out artist Anne Ryan Miller's studio link.
- Find local services and resources using a searchable database.
- Veterinarians.com is a searchable database by zip code.
Care for your pet:
- The National Animal Poison Control Center has lots of good tips on protecting your pet and alerting you to hazards.
- Heartworm Society lists guidelines for how and when to give heartworm prevention.
- Purdue University's School of Veterinary Medicine provides a valuable resource for medical questions and concerns. It is one of the nation's leading veterinary schools.
- Purdue's Pet Wellness Clinic Web site offers many pages of tips and advice on daily care for your pet.
- The American Veterinary Medicine Association provides a wealth of information on ordinary and unusual pet health problems, from rabies to exotic parasites. Easy to access, this is a site for pet owners to bookmark.
- Veterinary Partner.com offers all kinds of info to keep your pet healthy.
- Healthy Pet is another good source of medical information.
- Medline Plus Pets and Pet Health includes informational articles on a host of pet health issues, much like the government's Medline Plus for "people health."
- Veterinary Partner includes information to support what your vet tells you, as well as a resource for people to research pet health on their own.
- Companion Animal Parasite Council lists lots of information to help you protect your pet from a variety of pests.
- Airport Animal EmergiCenter, (317)248-0832
- Indianapolis Veterinary Emergency Center,, (317)782-4418.
- Advanced Veterinary Care Center, Fishers, Ind., (317)578-4100
- Noah's Hospitals, (317)244-7738.
- Purdue Small Animal Hospital, (765)494-1107 (vet referral required)
- The ASPCA offers a pet insurance plan, online or at (866)-230-4259.
- PetInsurance.com is another source for pet insurance, online or at (866)-vet-pets.
- TruPanion.com offers medical insurance for pets online.
- Clicker Training is a site based on Karen Pryor's "Don't Shoot the Dog" books about holistic approaches to dog training.